Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Herbiviore's Dilemma

Forgive me Linda McCarthy, for I have strayed. I have sinned against pig, chicken, beef and any number of any other animals I can't identify at this point in time.

Tonight, Marc and I partook in our first authentic Argentine parilla at a restaurant in Palermo Hollywood se llama Cava 71. For those of you who know me, I have been a vegetarian for over 10 years. And I still am. I'm just on a vacatation at this time. When in Buenos Aires ...



At about 10pm, we were able to score a table on the roof (al fresco) at Cava 71, a parilla restaurant in the neighborhood of our hotel. The first course was the "salchicha" course consisting of 4 different grilled sausages. Here's what I could identify: spicy chorizo, blood sausage, smaller pork sausage of some sort with a delicous crisp skin, grisly fat and something that appeared to be a chicken neck (of which I was unable to cut, let alone eat).

The chorizo was brilliant as was the smaller pork sausage grilled to a crispy perfection (that's the spiraled on on a skewer in the photo). I tried the blood sausage to discover a creamy, rich flavor that wasn't all together unpleasing ... had I known it wasn't a blood sausage first. Fortunately the table was dimly lit. Even Marc didn't go back for seconds following this discovery.

Second course was a plate stacked grill grilled pork, steak and chicken. The pork was my favorite - rich and flavorful with no fat to speak of. The chicken, was .... well like most chicken I remember having, but it was juicy and had a smoky flavor. The steak was good, but considering all the hype over Argentine grass-fed beef, I feel the true experience was lost in this medium. The meaty spread was served with papas fritas - some of the best we've had so far: thick cut steak fries fried to crispy perfection, and of course - a basket of bread.

Two glasses of vino blanco for me (it's so hot!), a grande Quisme cerveza and a glass of Malbec for Marc and the whole meal only set us back $98 ar pesos ... solamente $33 US.

The best score of the evening was our pre-dinner cocktail at a bar en route to the restauante. I had a fabulous half bottle of a Mendoza Malbec for just $12 ar, $4 us. Delicioso!

No comments: