Saturday, February 9, 2008

Detox is for Wusses

Well, my detox in Ushuaia isn't going so well. Friday afternoon we went on a boat ride out to Bridges Island, which included a couple champagne glass size beers from the on-board keg. Then we HAD to get centolla (king crab legs) so we went to a place with a giant red king crab painted on the windows - seemed like the right spot.

We both had "ensalada mixta" to start which wasn't really a "mixture" of anything. Just shredded green leaf lettuce and tomato ... but it's roughage, so I went for it. Marc got the Fuegian style king crab but at a whopping $58 ar, I went with a cheaper version of a seafood stew.
Everything was delicious, but we also ended up drinking a full bottle of wine (turns out the 3/4 size just means 3/4 of a litre and is actually a full bottle by US standards) and I constantly had my hand in the bread basket. Then, as if out of habit, we trotted across the street to Tarte Sara tea house for a piece of apple cake and coffee.


I am paying today.

My body has deciced to do a detox of its own - violently expelling everything from my system I have loaded up in the last 5 days. Marc got me some super delish yogurt from the supermercado and I determine I am back on the wagon. 8 hours of hiking in the Tierra del Fuego National Park and I'm really back on the wagon. Speaking of trekking, if you care to read more about our journey than my food-obsession POV, check out Marc's blog with tons of great photos.

That is, until we "grab a bite" at a local pizza joint. The brushetta is phenomenal (it's summer here so the tomatoes actually taste like something) and the pumpkin calzone knocked our socks off. Should have stopped there, but you know I didn't and we wrapped up the meal with a cheese/onion stuffed pizza. That's right - had to go with the twice the cheese and crust option.

Marc says we are "gorging" ourselves which makes me feel like a fat American pig. Tomorrow is a new day ...

1 comment:

Dell Rae said...

Mmmmmm .... I'm ready for a second lunch after this post. I am so glad it sounds like you are having a great time. I expect you to come home with lots of good recipes to try out ...